Decimal degree units

Rob Atkinson rob at socialchange.net
Thu Aug 26 20:20:04 EDT 1999

cshorte2 at csc.com wrote:

> > I'll try the PROJ.4 support, but I'm guessing that the performance hit will
> > kill me. Some of my maps have thousands of shapes on several layers.
>
> Rob Atkinson did some work on performance of PROJ.4 and reckoned it added 20% to
> 30% to the total processing time.
>
> Cameron.

FYI: This was on a shapefile about 20Mb in size, with highly detailed polys. Maybe
the fixed overheads of file IO are significant.
Having a memory resident server rather than a CGI would be the single biggest
performance boost I think.

Rob Atkinson                                                rob at socialchange.net
Director                                                        Mob 0419 202 973
Social Change Online Pty Ltd                                Ph  +61 (2)9557 6500
http://online.socialchange.net                              Fax +61 (2)9519 8940