MapServer and C math functions

Paul G. Allen pgallen at randomlogic.com
Thu Dec 2 06:42:45 EST 1999

This is actually a question for Steve, but I thought both the question and
answer might be informative for all users.

I'd like to know, if you can tell me or at least give me an idea, what math
functions mapserv and all associated utilities use. I've D/L and installed
Compaq's math library for Alpha Linux which is up to 8 times faster than the
standard Linux libm library. I have not compiled using it yet, but I'm curious
what performance gains (if any) I might see when/if I do.

Also as an update to my previous post. Both my servers have been confirmed
available on the Internet:

Alpha 433MHz: http://24.5.14.144:3000
K6-180MHz: http://24.5.14.144

The fastest map will be the San Diego map on the Alpha. It is using a UW SCSI
HDD that is local to the Alpha to serve data. The other Alpha maps are using NFS
drives and are bandwidth limited to 10Mbps. You will notice the difference with
detailed maps and there are still some development issues.

Thanks,

PGA