ActiveX version of Mapserver

Brent Fraser bfraser at digitalscience.com
Mon Jul 12 16:36:49 EDT 1999

Chris (and everyone),

I think the software development philosophy Steve
has been following is good: generic  C / CGI usable
on Unix and NT.

Some kind of scripting would give more control for
a more dynamic mapping environment, and it
would be nice to have COM, CORBA, and MapScript
support.  And it would make sense to have a common
definition for the object interface to be consistent
(if possible), as long as it wasn't too much effort.

On a related note, I seem to be getting some interest
in using MapServer to produce a background
"basemap", but also having some client-end functions
for creating points, lines, polygons in a server-side
database.  I've been thinking about using Java on
the client and either JDBC, Java servlets or RMI
on the server.  Or maybe MapServer is fast enough
to get the feedback if there was a database (Oracle)
connection.  I see that Trevor and Cameron have
similar interests to this.

Brent