Map Extents

Stephen Lime steve.lime at dnr.state.mn.us
Tue Jul 27 12:32:13 EDT 1999

You can use DD but anything scale related will be useless. The mapserver will
map directly from the DD coordinates to the flat graphic coordinates. For small
areas this is usually ok, but you'll definitely see distortions. Extents need to be
in the following order minx, miny, maxx, maxy. Depending on where you are in
the world you may need to negate the lat and/or lon values to maintain that
relationship. For North America the longitude values should be negative (I think
that is correct).

Alternatively, you can either pre-project your data or project on-the-fly by compiling
with the PROJ.4 library available from the USGS and then specifying input
and output projection information. I can provide more information if anyone is
interested.

Steve

Stephen Lime
Internet Applications Analyst
MIS Bureau - MN DNR

(651) 297-2937
steve.lime at dnr.state.mn.us

>>> <Jsully7 at aol.com> 07/27 11:12 AM >>>
I would like to know what is the best method for specifing the EXTENTS for
Geographic Decimal Degree Shape files (non-projected).  Is this even
possible?  I am using Mapserver 3.2.

Jim Sullivan
jsully7 at aol.com