graduated color symbols and mapserver

Robert Chavez rchavez at perseus.tufts.edu
Mon Nov 8 13:17:44 EST 1999

You are right about the expressions, I haven't been able to come up with
anything that works.  Pre/Re classification would be possible, but the
files I'm working with are between 30 and 80 meg -- the dbf files are
just too large to pre/re classify easily with the tools I have at hand.

I'm toying with the idea about fooling around with the code to add
numeric expressions  -- to handle >,<,<=,>=, etc expressions.  I'm not
sure how useful this would be to the majority of map server users, but
maybe it's something that could be incorporated into a future version?

Rob

>That's what classes are for. Each class has it's
>own symbolization. The hard part is  the expression to use with ranges
of numbers. One easy thing to do is to pre-classify each shape in
arcview and then >use that column in mapserver class expressions.