Map Server Test Page up

Paul G. Allen pgallen at randomlogic.com
Wed Oct 6 14:17:58 EDT 1999

"Thomas E. Burk" wrote:

> [SNIP]
>
> You are subscribed. You've should have received some mail now. Thanks for
> allowing me to post your earlier message. You had been using <mapserver-info> to
> ask questions rather than <mapserver-users>.

Thanks. Yes, I have received a few messages since last night.

> Last night I added
> > queries to the San Diego and Philadelphia maps for lakes, streams and rivers,
> some
> > landmarks, and key geographic locations. I thinking about recompiling it on my
> > "legitimate" web server - a Sparc running FreeBSD - so I can keep it up for a
> long
> > term period as well as free up my machine for further development.
> >
> > BTW, I know how to code a router - for determining driving directions from
> point A
> > to point B - now it's just a matter of doing it. I've suggested to the local
> Linux
> > user group (Kernel Panic Linux User Group, KPLUG, http://www.kernel-panic.com)
> that
> > we make it a programing project in the programmers sub-group. No response yet.
> >

> Your work is very interesting to us. Thanks for your interest in MapServer. I
> hope the router project goes ahead. Keep us posted as you feel appropriate.

Thanks and no problem. I have done a few more improvements to the San Diego map:
Major Freeways, Minor Freeways, on/off ramps, Highways, Primary surface Streets, and
Secondary Surface are all different colors. I have also adjusted the scale at which
they become visible and added the query feature to them. It looks as though
MapServer will do everything we need aside from the routing, but routing should be a
separate package anyway, so that works out just fine. Now all we need to do is find
some good, inexpensive map data that also includes one-way street data (which
streets are one-way and which direction they go).

PGA