Tiling maps

bfraser bfraser at geoanalytic.ab.ca
Tue Oct 12 10:40:49 EDT 1999

Paul,

  As long as you don't want to query the data in the tiles, you
can use the tiling feature in MapServer.

1.  Create a shapefile containing the outlines of the counties
2.  Create a column in the shapefile with the name of LOCATION
3.  For each county outline shape in the shapefile, enter the filename
     of the county shapefile in the LOCATION column (leave off the
     .shp )
4.  Edit the "map" file.   Add an entry for TILE at the top.   This
     contains the path to the directory containing county files.  It is
     prepended to the name in the LOCATION column to build the
     full path to the shapefiles.

    Add a  LAYER entry with an INDEX entry.  The index is the name
    of the shapefile you created in step 1.

A couple of notes about tiles:
    1. The tile index shapefile and the "data" shapefiles must be in
        the same coordinate system.
    2. Mapserver will not query data in tiled files.

Brent