fwd: PHP/Mapscript Installation

Daniel Morissette danmo at videotron.ca
Mon Aug 28 10:22:23 EDT 2000

teb wrote:

> My host provider had to restore the PHP and Apache src and build directories,
> but it looks like these do not exactly match their current environment and I get
> the following errors:
>
> >/usr/src/local/php/php.h:184: ap_config.h: No such file or directory
> >/usr/src/local/php/php.h:190: ap_compat.h: No such file or directory
> >/usr/src/local/php/php.h:192: httpd.h: No such file or directory
> >/usr/src/local/php/php.h:193: http_main.h: No such file or directory
> >/usr/src/local/php/php.h:194: http_core.h: No such file or directory
> >/usr/src/local/php/php.h:195: http_request.h: No such file or directory
> >/usr/src/local/php/php.h:196: http_protocol.h: No such file or directory
> >/usr/src/local/php/php.h:197: http_config.h: No such file or directory
> >/usr/src/local/php/php.h:198: http_log.h: No such file or directory

You usually get these errors when you forget to pass the --with-apxs
switch to the MapServer configure and your PHP _WAS_ configured using
the --with-apxs switch.

Try re-running the MapServer configure and include the --with-apxs this
time.  If configure complains that it cannot find 'apxs' then try to
locate it yourself and use --with-apxs=/path/to/apxs.  Then your
compilation should work.

<HACK>
I've also found that in several cases, a php_mapscript.so build with or
without apxs will work on any Apache/PHP server with the same version of
PHP.  This means that if you cannot find apxs, or if the required
headers are not on your service provider's system, then you could get
your own copy of the PHP3 source, run PHP3's configure without the apxs
switch (no need to recompile PHP), then rerun the mapserver configure
without the apxs switch and your MapServer build will work.
IMPORTANT NOTE: This may not work on all systems.  And especially on
systems where Apache is compiled with the -DEAPI switch, such as RedHat
6.2.
</HACK>

Good Luck!
 Daniel Morissette                       danmo at videotron.ca