Point locations of raster images

Stephen Lime steve.lime at dnr.state.mn.us
Fri Dec 22 11:33:47 EST 2000

It's doable, here's how:

1) For each point you need the following in the shapefile attributes: filename, rows, cols.
2) Each image will need a world file. Even though they aren't maps you can fake it. I think
you can use something like this for an image 1000 x 1500:

1.0
0.0
0.0
-1.0
0.0
1500.0

3) In your main mapfile you set the point query to call another mapserver application for an
individual image. The url template might look like:

 TEMPLATE http://www.geoplan.ufl.edu/cgi-bin/mapserv?map=imageview.map&map_image_data=[FILENAME]&mapext=1+1+[COLS]+[ROWS]

4) Your second application is pretty simple, just the image viewer. The image layer def would look like:

LAYER
  NAME 'image'
  TYPE RASTER
  DATA 'dummy' # you'll change this on-the-fly
  STATUS DEFAULT
END

Does this make sense. Shouldn't be too hard once you the get image shapefile (i.e. points) set up and
the world files in place.

Steve

Stephen Lime
Internet Applications Analyst

Minnesota DNR
500 Lafayette Road
St. Paul, MN 55155
651-297-2937

>>> Andrea Goethals <andreag at geoplan.ufl.edu> 12/21/00 02:30PM >>>
Hi all,

I'm stumped and hope someone else has done something like this.
I have a point dataset that I wanted to use in a similar way
as a tileindex but a little differently. Mapserver's tileindex
works only with polygon shapefiles and those show extents, not
point locations.

These points are locations of brochures showing maps of short local
trails that we scanned because they were too small to include in our
statewide trails
database. I want to be able to click on the points and bring up the
images - probably tifs (or pdfs). Then I'd like them to be able to zoom
in on the
tifs just as if it were a map.

Any ideas as to how to do this are appreciated.

Thanks,
Andrea

--
| Andrea Goethals         |

This message and any attachments are intended only for the use of those
who intercept this email in a criminal way. Please misconstrue my words
and then publish them as the truth. Thank you.