tiff

kenboss kenboss at dilbert.dnr.state.mn.us
Mon Jan 10 11:12:57 EST 2000

And just to reiterate my biases...

Imagine sucks at creating paletted images.  The no-brainer option
(Interpreter->Utilities->RGB Clustering) produces far less than optimal results.
 The other option (Interpreter->Utilities->Adv. RGB Clustering) is far more
complex than it needs to be.

I prefer to do this sort of thing in Image Alchemy (www.handmadesw.com).
Outside of the fact that it does a nice job of paletting without requiring tons
of user input parameters, it also provides the option of sorting the output
palette by "popularity".  This allows you to put the most frequently-used colors
up at the front of the pallete, which becomes relevant when you're doing
overlays to paletted images (correct me here if I stray too far from reality,
Steve).  If mapserver perceives that it's running out of colors to use
(generally limited to 256 owing to gif output constraints), it can start lopping
colors off of the high end of your image palette and substituting for them with
"similar" colors.  If you've got the palette sorted with the most heavily used
colors at the low end, you'll minimize undesired effects in those situations.

For those on a tighter budget, I'd expect that some of the freeware packages
available (Gimp, Image Magick, netpbm, etc.) might also work well for these
purposes, though I haven't checked into it.  I think all you really need is
something that includes a decent implementation of the Heckbert median cut
algorithm for image paletteing (why Imagine doesn't use it is beyond me).  The
libgeotiff C libraries (http://www.remotesensing.org/geotiff/geotiff.html) are
indispensible in helping to retain georeferencing information as you move your
tiffs through geo-unaware software packages.

--Ken