Availibility on NT

Brent Fraser bfraser at geoanalytic.com
Thu Jan 20 14:34:31 EST 2000

As Doug points out, mapserver is really meant to
be run in conjunction with a webserver.  If you want
to simply render GIF from a map configuration file
use the "shp2img" program included with mapserver.

Some Windows notes...

You can distribute parts of the mapserver system/site.
I've never tried moving the mapserv.exe from the
cgi-bin dir (web servers like/demand the executables
be located there).

But you can put the ".map" file wherever you like on
the server's filesystem (or mapped drives).  This may
look a little weird in the HTML since a drive letter is
a little unnatural for web sites.

A move practical example would be to specify the
drive letter in the path of the shape and image files
listed in the map file.  You can do this, just remember
to use double quotes around the entire path:

SHAPEPATH "M:\GeoData\"

Brent