Stephen Lime steve.lime at dnr.state.mn.us
Tue Jan 25 12:13:33 EST 2000

Brian: The only things to note on FreeType and LibTIFF is that by default they
will:

  - install themselves in /usr/local
  - build shared (i.e. dynamically loaded) versions of their libraries

That's fine, but you will need to make sure the user the mapserver runs under
knows where these libs are. In general this involves setting an environment
variable called LD_LIBRARY_PATH. Both Apache and Netscapes servers
allow you to do this in their configurations someplace. It's not hard, just might
take a minute to find the correct text to add.

3.3 does not require a .ini file. All paramters are now set within a map file. Sounds
like a pretty vanilla setup. Once libtiff and freetype are in place you should just have
to type make. That will build mapserv and all supporting programs. Copy mapserv
to cgi-bin and your golden.

Steve (btw you can always swing by the DNR if you want to...)

Stephen Lime
Internet Applications Analyst

Minnesota DNR
500 Lafayette Road
St. Paul, MN 55155
651-297-2937

>>> <bfischer at usgs.gov> 01/25/00 10:18AM >>>
Mapserver Users,

     I am in the processes of trying to install the mapserver software on a
UNIX platform (sun 5.6).  Forgive me for asking what are probably simple
questions for most of you, but I have to learn somehow.  I downloaded
LibTiff 3.5.4 and FreeType 1.3.1.  I unpacked these two files and they are
in my home directory.  Do I have to be in a specific directory before I
follow their install instructions?  The install instructions say to just
type ./configure and then make.  Can anyone provide additional information
that I may need before installing these packages?

     The second question is associated with the mapserv software.  I
unpacked the mapserv 3.3.005.  When I unpacked it there was not a
mapserv.ini file in the directory to edit?  I am also not very familiar
with UNIX setup, so is there anything in the Makefile that I should edit?
I also tried to run the make command from my home directory to see if it
worked.  It did not seem to create any executables.  Do I need to have the
mapserv directory in the cgi-bin before I type make?

Thank you for the help,

Brian Fischer
bfischer at usgs.gov
USGS WRD