Proposed change to symbols.

imap at chesapeake.net imap at chesapeake.net
Thu Jul 27 00:28:26 EDT 2000

Steve/List,

Being one of the advocates for symbol/marker changes, here is some rationale
behind the changes.  The current symbol files are somewhat static and if the
files become large, there is overhead incurred on every invocation of mapserv.
Also, the current scheme also does not lend itself to dynamic marker placement
very
well.  (that is, using a marker NOT defined in marker.sym)

We want to be able to use external markers from a PATH filespec to make it
easier
to maintain (no more editing the marker.sym file ;) and (2) make it more
programmer
friendly and simplifies the mapscript a bit.

As far as functionality, it would be nice to interrogate a $class->{symbol} to
determine it's height/width and some sort of option to set/get control of
collision
avoidance (labelcache).  (I think needed for both POINT and ANNOTATION
layers) And lastly, make sure to preserve the ability to examine to labelcache
extract the polygons of the markers and text placed on the map.

I am all for getting rid of marker.sym 100% although it may break my current
applications...  sometimes change is painful.   Anyway to code an interim
solutions that works both ways?  probably not, but thought I would ask anyway.

Regards,

Chris Stuber (mapsurfer)
Silicon Mapping Solutions, Inc.
410.257.3187