How to zoom to place names

Rob Chavez rchavez at perseus.tufts.edu
Wed May 10 13:49:41 EDT 2000

I assume you are using mapscript?

I've done something similar with mapscript.  First a user selects a
placename from an HTML select form that parameter gets passed to the script,
which looks up the placename in an SQL database and grabs the points and the
bounding box; the bounding box gets parsed as the map extent (with a little
padding) and the point is rendered and labeled.  I can post some code, if in
fact you are using mapscript and would like to see it.

One browser problem I've run into and something to consider: very large
select lists sometime break browsers.  I've used a placename list that are
over 2000 items long and had Netscape go down in flames (only on Macs).
This is probably just a simple memory allocation problem, but it does affect
the end user's experience with your work.

Rob Chavez
Programmer
Perseus Project
rchavez at perseus.tufts.edu