making the server

Stephen Lime steve.lime at dnr.state.mn.us
Fri May 12 12:24:45 EDT 2000

Configure will fix the compilation. Dealing with shared libraries is another problem
entirely. It's best handled in the web server configuration. Both netscape and apache
have directives directives to set environment variables for CGI scripts. I've used both
servers with mapserver and shared libraries with no problems. In apache for example
you simply add:

setenv LD_LIBRARY_PATH /usr/local/lib

to httpd.conf and restart.

Steve

Stephen Lime
Internet Applications Analyst

Minnesota DNR
500 Lafayette Road
St. Paul, MN 55155
651-297-2937

Stephen Lime wrote:

> Sorry guys. This should get easier. Dan Morissette has contributed auto configure
> scripts for the next version. They are in the CVS and nightly builds now and seems
> to work great.

Unfortunately, I do not think that the current version of the configure
script will solve that problem though.

It seems to me like this is not a compilation problem, but a runtime
library path problem where libttf.so.2 is not found in the regular lib
search path.  This type of problem is never fun... I ran into a similar
thing on a SUN system that I use and that has a specially odd
configuration.  I tried setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH before starting Apache
but that did not work.

Since I did not have root access on that system to go change the system
lib path (/etc/ld.so.conf), the only way that I found to go around the
problem was to use ld command-line options to add the directory where my
libs are to the runtime library search path... something like...

Using gcc:

  gcc -G -Wl,-R -Wl,.:/path/to/my/libs  ......

or using ld directly:

  ld -G -R.:/path/to/my/libs ....

These are options for the ld that I had on Solaris 2.6, I think that on
Linux the "-R" option would actually be called "-rpath".

BTW, I guess a simpler solution would be to link with a static libttf.a,
as someone suggested but unfortunately freetype does not build libttf.a
by default... so you're stuck with shared libs only.

Also, I think (but I didn't try it myself) that linking your shared lib
using an absolute path instead of using the "-L" linker option might
allow your executable to find the lib at runtime without having to
modify the runtime lib search path.

e.g. In the Makefile, try using:
       TTF_LIB=-L./gdft -lgdft /opt/contrib/lib/libttf.so

Please let us know if any of that solves your problem and we'll try to
give the configure scripts the ability to handle those odd cases.

 Daniel Morissette                       danmo at videotron.ca
              http://pages.infinit.net/danmo/