MapServer and XML...

imap at chesapeake.net imap at chesapeake.net
Tue May 16 01:22:50 EDT 2000

Doug, Can you provide a URL reference to the OpenGIS XML topics?
I looked thru the list, but no mention of XML on the index page.

Moving to an XML config is probably the way to go, but guaranteed to
break the existing applications that use the old mapfiles.  That
would be painful to change all those mapfiles I have all over the place.
Maybe a mapfile->XML conversion tool would be the ticket... or some way
to accomodate either configuratoin as a stop-gap measure.

I dont know for sure, but I suspect that XML is versatile enought to support
all of the baggage we carry in the mapfile.  Maybe we can come up with some
concrete examples of how this might look?   What this boils down to, is nested
map objects (and the objects which make up a map) and if XML can support that,
it would make perfect sense to persue that goal.

Regards,

Chris Stuber (mapsurfer)
Silicon Mapping Solutions, Inc
410.257.3187