Questions on layer display, Rosa applet

Daniel Morissette morissette at dmsolutions.on.ca
Wed Nov 8 15:04:59 EST 2000

Ben Lewis wrote:

> One other question, the Rosa applet looks very nice, and I'm going to be
> giving a presentation on Open Source GIS, using MapServer (and the Rosa
> applet if possible) as an example of a great OS GIS web apps, and wanted to
> see if there was a quick how to that could get the applet running in an hour
> or so. No big deal if it's more involved than that.

Ben,

We had not designed ROSA to be directly compatible with the mapserv CGI,
so it won't work automatically (we always use it with MapScript).  We
never tried to use ROSA with mapserv either, but someone has done it
recently... see:

http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/majordom_lists/archives/mapserver-users/html/0009/msg00062.html

Their application, at http://www.agso.gov.au/map/pilbara/ uses ROSA with
a modified version of "mapserv".  See below the code that needs to be
added to the mapserv CGI in order to understand the values returned by
ROSA.  The rest is just a matter of setting the right parameter values
in your template file.  If you try their app. and look at the HTML
source then you should be able to figure the way they built their
template.

BTW, a new version of the applet with a bunch of fixes and some new
features (like real tool tips on buttons) has been posted on the web
site last week ( http://www.dmsolutions.on.ca/rosa/ )

Good Luck!
 Daniel Morissette             morissette at dmsolutions.on.ca
               http://www.dmsolutions.on.ca/