Building dynamic maps using Perl or PHP

Stephan Dunning SDunning at nephrology.org
Tue Nov 14 11:28:18 EST 2000

Hello,

I am running MapServer on a Windows NT platform, using the Microsoft
Internet Information Server.  I would like to build a customized application
to allow my users some dynamic functionality when requesting a map to be
displayed.  I plan on storing information in an MS-SQL database, and
retreiving the appropriate data at the submission of a user defined SQL
Query.
My thinking is that I should be able to connect to my database using either
Perl or PHP, then pull in my data and join it to the chosen shapefile .dbf,
build my mapfile, and display the map for the user.  Does this sound
reasonable?  Which is the better laguage to use: Perl or PHP (or another)?
Are there any recommended resources available in addition to the Perl and
PHP sites linked through MapServer's site?  Does anyone have a good example
of a similar application?
Any insight is welcomed!
Thank you ,
Stephan Dunning