New mapping application

Doyon, Jean-Francois Jean-Francois.Doyon at CCRS.NRCan.gc.ca
Mon Nov 27 17:37:34 EST 2000

actually the tool will remain available in the future, we've got it , might
as well use it :)

Yes, I hope so too, I'm not too worried though, things don't work quite the
same here, and
we're not stuck with only two choices :)

As for the load testing:

On a Quad 400 with 512MB RAM and a RAID 0 Storage Sub-System, I got up to
250 maps/minute with 100 concurrent clients pouding the box, generating maps
continuously. I was VERY happy with that result :) This was using the
Election Interface/Map you've seen. There was no randomizing (Allways the
default, full extent map, which basically is the worst case scenario). Under
this load the map took about 5-7 seconds to show up.

The mapscript versions worked well also. I don't have a number of maps on
that, but I do know every once in a while an Apache child would bomb with a
sig11 (tail -f'ing the error log). I suppose this is a SWIG thing ... Both
Perl and PHP did this. I can't really compare to the CGI since they were
different boxes.

The server is RH 7.0 with the CVS mapserver.

I was using Apache's JMeter to create the load, very cool tool.
(http://java.apache.org/jmeter)

Overall the CGI version gets my thumbs up, wayyyyyyy up. Another tool we
use, died at 20 maps/minute on a dual 400 under NT4. Open Source wins yet
again :)

Sorry if this all seems add-hoc. The intent was never to do a truly
disciplined benchmark, just to get an idea of perfromance and stability
under load. Maybe I'll do somehting with a more "scientific" approach
someday. Although if anybody out there cares, just get the tool I
mentionned, makes the testing real easy :)

Cheers,
J.F.