PHP, MySQL, and points!

Frederic Marchand bomek at bomek.yi.org
Tue Oct 31 13:14:11 EST 2000

Hey there! I'm new to mapserver, and wow, im impressed what the opensource
community can do!!

I've run into some problems (which is normal i guess :-)

I run mapserver on two server, one with PHP3 and one with PHP4. (i use the
cvs version of mapserver for the php4 support and ms3.011 for the php3
one)

Since i start playing with ms, i've got projection, zoom-in, zoom-out and
other stuff working on most of maps i've got. But now, i would like to put
point (like red dot) on the map where my lat,long coord are stored in
mysql db. I know i can put point using the feature command directly from
the map file but i would like to know how to create those point directly
from PHP. I tried to use the object pointObj with the draw functions, but
in PHP3 module, draw don't exist and in PHP4, where draw is there, there
is no SHADESET support (as MARKERSET and LINESET).

Also, about performance issue, my db contain 110000 points, so i wonder
which will be the fastest way to dynamically show those points!

Thanks a lot! And keep the good work!

Fred