[mapserver-users] Re: mapserver on apache

Gert-Jan van der Weijden gert-jan.van.der.weijden at aris.nl
Fri Apr 20 11:22:32 EDT 2001

Daniel Morissette wrote:

> The reason why I think it's a leak of some sort is that when apache is
> run from inetd it is restarted for every request and the whole process
> dies after so leaks can't persist.  Similar thing must happen with the
> WN server where you probably had to configure PHP as a CGI instead of as
> a module... so the PHP CGI restarts for every request and leaks cannot
> persist in that case either.
>
> Short term solution (i.e. workaround!) with Apache: you could configure
> PHP as a CGI under Apache and you probably would not get that error any
> more.
>
> Now, there is obviously a problem somewhere that is triggered by
> something you do or something you use in your script... without access
> to the scripts/mapfile/data I can't be of more help.
>
> > Could it be something like the mapfile gets locked by Apache ?
> >

> No.  However it could be a leak of file handles in the first 4 requests
> that makes it impossible to open the mapfile on the 5th request because
> you ran out of available file handles.
>
> Maybe something you can try is to monitor the number of opened file
> handles after each request and see if it increases dramatically.  Run
> the following command after each call to your script:
>
>   $ lsof -c httpd | wc
>
> (list file handles opened by processes running the command httpd)

There's no PHP_PROJ involved.
With lsof I noticed that the mapfile remains in use twice or more by one
process.
But....in the malfunctioning situation I loaded php_mapscript.so through
php.ini
(using extension=php_mapscript.so);
After removing this line and loading mapscript with dl(php_mapscript.so)
everything works fine!
My next step will be to load MapScript.so through Apache directives,
stay tuned,
results will be available after the weekend!

Gert-Jan

--
Gert-Jan van der Weijden

ARIS - Adviesburo voor Ruimtelijke Informatie Systemen
       Hooghiemstraplein 126    Tel.   +31-(0)30-2769180
       3514 AZ  UTRECHT         Fax.   +31-(0)30-2733578
       The Netherlands          E-mail gert-jan.van.der.weijden at aris.nl
                                Http://www.aris.nl