[mapserver-users] FW: Need direction for enhancing Mapserver

Dan_Stevens at stricom.army.mil Dan_Stevens at stricom.army.mil
Thu Aug 9 05:54:46 EDT 2001

To all,
     I am the technical lead for the program Chan is interning under.  This
is a government program developing a repository for users to "compose"
environmental scenarios from canned database (one degree square) terrain
"tiles".   There are three major objectives to Chan's project:
   Help her to develop hands on experience with all the elements of the
   environmental software we develop
   Provide her with a very practical software development project to grow
   her skills
   Save taxpayer (most of us : ) money
     Chan has already made tremendous progress and has met all of the
program's basic requirements.  Her repository software is running in a
"text only" mode and functions as expected.  She has exceeded expectations
on the GUI side, and can already use the mapserver to query her world map
to get the coordinates for a requested area, but the user must manually
enter the text lat/long to actually retrieve the data, a process that is
both "user unfriendly" and error prone.    Chan is only dedicated to this
effort for another 4 or 5 months in her training track, and the only thing
lacking is being able to compile and link the back-end C++ software Chan
mentioned with the GUI interface providing the several functions Chan
describes below (apparently already supported by mapserver).    Any help
would be appreciated.  Is there anyone who could support a half-hour
telecon to talk through the functions she needs supported  and help us
determine a best  approach to complete the project?

                                                        Thanks
                                                        Dan Stevens

----- Forwarded by Dan Stevens/E_DIR/STRIORL/US on 08/09/01 05:37 AM -----

                    "Chan B.
                    Huynh"               To:     <dan_stevens at stricom.army.mil>
                    <chuynh at ideor        cc:
                    lando.org>           Subject:     FW: Need direction for enhancing Mapserver

                    08/08/01
                    06:25 PM

Dan,
I forward you here what I send to the mapserver reflector.
Just thought you might want to know what I have in mind.
-chan