[mapserver-users] free DBF editor ? is there anyone?

William A. Bronsema, C.E.T. bronsema at dmsolutions.ca
Fri Aug 10 08:23:12 EDT 2001

Speh Sylvain wrote:

>On Windows,I tried Excel 2000, but I couln'd add any kind of column. Excel
>Apparently doesn't find the release of the DBFILE ( looking for a 3+ or a 4
>one ). But I succeeded in changing text  values.

It is possible to add a column in Excel 2000 and 97 (and 95?).  In order to
do this, you need to re-define the "Name" range for the file so it includes
the added column.  Be VERY careful when modifying such a file in Excel
because of Excel's nasty habit of modifying field types.  Personally I don't
recommend using Excel to make these modifications, but if it all you have to
work with.... :)

If you want more details on how to do this, let me know.

Bill

William A. Bronsema, C.E.T.
DM Solutions Group Inc.
Ottawa, Ontario