[mapserver-users] free DBF editor ? is there anyone?

Puneet Kishor pkishor at GeoAnalytics.com
Fri Aug 10 09:47:22 EDT 2001

Quick tips on using Excel to work on dbfs --

1. contiguous rectangular range named "Database" is saved as dbf.
2. width of column determines width of field (change width by dragging
the column edges...) keep the width whole numbers.
3. the first row contains field names. Field names have to be 10
characters or less.
4. the values in the second row define the field.

More on #4 above --

if a column is called "BIRTHDATE" (that is, "BIRTHDATE" is entered in
the first row), that column won't automatically become a date column. If
the second row in that column contains a valid date then that column
will become a date column, otherwise it will default to text. Be
careful, even an empty cell in the second row will screw up the column
definition.

Don't delete a row... that will screw up the alignment with the shape
file!

If you add a column (or delete one), select the entire range of cells,
and redefine it as "Database" (you should see the range name just to the
left of the entry box above the sheet.

Hth,

pk/

--