[mapserver-users] Shapefiles

Vinko Vrsalovic B. v at w.cl
Tue Aug 14 00:43:34 EDT 2001

> #MARKERSET symbols/marker.sym
> #LINESET symbols/line.sym

You should set the SYMBOL parameter as shown in the docs.

(concatenate the three .sym files in one and set that file as
the SYMBOL parameter)

> EXTENT 388107.634400379 5203120.88405952 500896.339019834 5310243.30613897

Is this extent correct?, you can use the perl script showextent.pl on
the shape file to see if it is.

(ie, perl showextent.pl shapefile on the directory where the shapefile is)

> #UNITS METERS

Why not set the units?

> SHAPEPATH "/usr/local/apache/htdcos/lance/risk_data"

Are this directory and its contents readable by the web server?

> LAYER
>   NAME "test"
>   TYPE RASTER

is the shapefile of raster type?!?!?

>   STATUS DEFAULT
>   DATA disslv1

disslv1.* should be in the shapepath directory

> I even changed the data to a known shapefile in the ms_demo directory and
> copied the same layer definition and I still got a blank box (But always
> with a working navigation system).

When I first started with Mapserver I got the same problem, it turned
out to be the extent badly set.

> I will not be meeting the creator of the shapefiles until Friday and I guess
> I will need more info about what is inside them to be able to define a layer
> to display them?  I guess what I really wanted to do was to have a working

You can open the shapfile with ArcView, press the info button (the 'i' rounded
by a circle) and click on a symbol of the view and you'll see what is the type
of the shapefile (polygon, polyline (it should be set as a polygon layer in the
mapfile) or line)

HTH,
--
V. <v at w.cl>