[mapserver-users] Shapefiles

Vinko Vrsalovic B. v at w.cl
Tue Aug 14 13:49:35 EDT 2001

> > > #MARKERSET symbols/marker.sym
> > > #LINESET symbols/line.sym
> >
> > You should set the SYMBOL parameter as shown in the docs.
>
> Quickly - what do they do?

They define how are the symbols drawn (color, width of lines, etc.)

> I thought leave otu what I do not know to minimise problems.  I was
> following the tutorial linked to from the mapserver documentaton page.

If you're using Mapserver 3.3 you don't need to follow my previous advice
(about concatenating the files), just uncomment those 3 lines.

> > > LAYER
> > >   NAME "test"
> > >   TYPE RASTER
> >
> > is the shapefile of raster type?!?!?
>
> I assumed it was a raster.  It did not load with polygon - but with raster
> the computer churned a bit - but still no display.  I will be able to get
> ArcView installed on friday and then see what it is as you say below.

You can try with LINE also (to get this running before friday :) )

> > When I first started with Mapserver I got the same problem, it turned
> > out to be the extent badly set.
>
> I will try that perl script.  I thought if it is wrong, worst case I would
> have a truncated image - or a very small image surrounded by white?  Or is
> my understanding of the EXTENT parameter incorrect?

The worst case is a blank image :)

> are keen to get our projetc moving.  As such - it always pleases people to
> see progress.  And at thsi early stage - great progress and a verification
> of our possible choice in MapServer - would be a display of "some kind!" a
> shapefile by it.  :)

If you want, you can send me your shapefiles and I can send you back
a map file that works (or should work) :).

--
V. <v at w.cl>