[mapserver-users] watermarking

Allan Doyle adoyle at intl-interfaces.com
Thu Aug 16 08:53:27 EDT 2001

I think people expect more of digital technology than they do of paper
technology. If I buy a paper map that has a copyright on it, what keeps
me from copying it? Nothing but my honesty or the possible legal
ramifications will stop me.

If I buy digital map data, I have to sign a license agreement, depending
on the vendor these can be quite restrictive. Again, what's to keep me
from copying it? The same thing. Honesty or fear of repercussions if I
breach the agreement.

So, if you provide a map to a large number of people via the internet,
in an easy-to-copy format, you have to rely on the recipients to "do the
right thing". In the internet, the expectation is largely that what I
see on my screen is mine to reproduce or reuse. (This is technically not
really even the case since even if there is no copyright statement, the
author of the content is still the copyright holder).

Given the expectation on the part of the casual user that what's there
is to be reused, I think Thorsten's answer is correct. So you need a
different strategy.

Either you only provide material to the end user that you are willing to
let become free, or you make sure you inform the end user about the
restrictions. Your idea of a popup would be a start in that direction.

A strategy that could take you down a middle road is to save your
high-value information for "premium" customers. I.e. don't provide your
best maps to the free users. Make the high-end people sign an agreement
or make them pay subscriptions. I would guess that most of those people
will be honest enough to not churn out lots of copies. Just as I
wouldn't copy pages off my atlas and give them away en masse.

At the same time, assume that there will be some "leakage" of your
content. The best way to deal with that is to make your premium content
always be better than even the leaked content. By way of example, I can
get stock market data for free but it's 20 minutes old. Who cares if I
copy that and send it out? It only becomes more worthless over time. Map
data changes too. If you can keep refreshing your data, you provide more
value to those who have your most recent maps. In the extreme, a company
that could provide real-time updates to road conditions would be able to
sell that data to emergency response organizations and would be able to
give it away a day later because the next days' data would be better.

I realize that not all map data can be treated this way, but I think
people get hung up on one way of thinking and forget that there are
alternatives.

I also believe that you're always better off working out a scheme
whereby you adapt to the circumstances rather than fight them. Trying to
keep the maps from getting copied is futile. Figuring out how to make
enough money to keep providing maps even while they are being copied is
the way to go. (By the way, think about MapQuest - they are not selling
maps, they are selling a channel to large advertisers that helps them
get at customers who may be looking for services in unfamiliar places).

Good luck figuring out what to do!

	Allan

Allan Doyle                         http://www.intl-interfaces.com
adoyle at intl-interfaces.com