[mapserver-users] XML Metadata management

Rob Atkinson rob at socialchange.net.au
Wed Aug 29 21:25:04 EDT 2001

There are others in Oz who'll be able to give you more direct guidance on
the mechanics of the current setup, however there is a general interest in
this around the world, so I've let this go to entire list.

The OpenGIS Consortium (mapserv 3.5 will provide compliance with its
published Web Map Server Specification) is also where catalog
standardisation issues are being dealt with, and in particular will be
compliant with the upcoming ISO 19115 metadata schema - that Oz will adopt
accordding to current policy.

The linkages between services (eg you mapserv installation) and the
metadata, in particular to allow this data to be exploited to search for
services delivering particular data,  are being addressed in the next
OpenGIS Web Services Testbed, starting soon. If successful in our funding
bid we will be implementing a large scale trial across Australia that you
would have a natural opportunity to participate in and get that guidance!

Regards

Rob Atkinson