MapServer Workbench version 0.3

Tom Poindexter tpoindex at nyx.net
Fri Jan 5 23:05:43 EST 2001

I've updated my MapServer Workbench.  Grab the latest copy off my web site
at: http://www.nyx.net/~tpoindex/gis/

The list of changes is attached below.  Most notable is support for
Windows.  I have also submitted some changes to Steve for building the
Mapscript/Tcl interface, which is required by the Workbench.  (You can run
msedit.tcl without Mapscript.)  The updates to Mapscript/Tcl are some
configure/Makefile changes, plus all of the Makefiles to build Mapscript
for Windows.

I'm planning to move my development tree (probably to SourceForge), and I
should have a Windows DLL to distribute at that time, hopefully in a few
days.  In the meanwhile, Unix users should download and build an updated
version of Mapserver and Mapscript/Tcl from the 'nightly' CVS build from the
Mapserver home pages.

--
Tom Poindexter
tpoindex at nyx.net
http://www.nyx.net/~tpoindex/

README.1st:
MapServer Workbench

release 0.3, January 5, 2001

You should treat the MapServer Workbench as beta quality software.  I haven't
done extensive testing on a wide variety of mapfiles.  Please report bug
and enhancement request to me.  Or feel free to fix bugs and send me
patch files :-)

In particular, you should make copies of mapfiles, html, and datafiles
that you intend to use with the Workbench.

The *.tcl files are quickie installs using /usr/local/bin/wish8.3.
You should probably use the 'install.sh' script if possible.

Until MapServer 3.4 becomes a stable release, expect MapServer Workbench
to lag behind the latest changes.  This may mean functionality that works on
one 'nightly' MapServer release may break something here on the next release.

Known bugs:  (many more unknown ones, probably :-)
-msappwiz.tcl: Only 'plain' HTML files are in the template directories.  If
 you pick 'Javascript' or 'Java' enhanced pages, the program will fail.

Fixes/changes since last release:

msedit     - added custom icons for tree view for each map object
	   - fixed adding objects twice to parent object
	   - changed to use tree control -user data to hold map mstclobj's
	   - added shortcut keystrokes to invoke functions
	   - added support for windows: startup & dde to other msworkbench tools	   - removed some prompts when saving to same file name
	   - copy old file to backup when saving

msexplorer - remove per window config structure, just use one config
	   - added shortcut keystrokes to invoke functions
	   - added support for windows: startup & dde to other msworkbench tools	   - fix View menu functions for zoom out, pan, query
	   - write temp gif files to tmp directory
	   - remove prompt when quitting and opening new files

msshapex   - added shortcut keystrokes to invoke functions
	   - added support for windows: startup & dde to other msworkbench tools	   - remove prompt when quitting
	   - add menu to pick a label attribute when viewing shapefile
	   - fix arc shapefile type viewing
	   - new button to clear retrieved records

msappwiz   - added support for windows: startup & dde to other msworkbench tools	   - don't allow backtracking after file generation
	   - tweaks to mapfile generation: scalebar, legend, etc.
	   - don't re-create other map objs on regeneration
	   - redraw reference image on regeneration
	   - remember directory path when gathering data files

setup.tcl  - windows installer, uses dde interface to program manager to
	     add a program group and items, thanks Steve Cassidy for the
             dde code to talk to program manager.

etc.