getting [mapetx] from item/value searches

Nicolau Werneck nwerneck at yahoo.com.br
Sun Jan 7 08:07:25 EST 2001

Hello again...

I'm trying to set up a site with mapserver in a way
that, after an item/value search, I can navigate
pan/zooing.

I've noticed that when I ask for (in example) some
city
(http://.../mapserv?map=...&item=place&name=Matatu&qlayer=...),
the [mapext] expands into the mapext of the map that
is rendered when I call mapserv with the mapfile, and
no other arguments.

Why that? shouldn't the item/value pair mean the same
as any other ways of telling the coordinates that we
want displayed? like mapxy/scale...?

Anyways, I saw the "searchmap" attribute in the CGI
reference, and it seems to be exactly what I want. but
it didn't work
(http://.../mapserv?map=...&item=place&name=Matatu&qlayer=...&searchmap).
The map displayed is just perfect, but the [mapext]
keeps turning into the old map's mapext...

How do we get the new mapext in an item/value
search????

thanks!!
--Nicolau