Mapserver question

Stephen Lime steve.lime at dnr.state.mn.us
Tue Jan 30 13:31:07 EST 2001

Stephen Lime
Internet Applications Analyst

Minnesota DNR
500 Lafayette Road
St. Paul, MN 55155
651-297-2937

>>> Doug Bryant <doug at starss.net> 01/30/01 09:35AM >>>
> Hello,

> I'm currently evaluating MapServer for an upcoming project.  I have been
> impressed with it thus far.

> It appears that Mapserver will do everything we want it to do with one
> possible exception.  Is it possible to dynamically generate map layers
> based on databased data?

> For instance, if we have users input an arbitrary location and
> corresponding data, then store that data in a database, is it possible
> to represent the location on a layer with a point.

With the MapServer CGI interface no, with MapScript, probably yes depending
on the database. If you can get to the database from your favorite scripting
language you can map that data.

> I am guessing that this is the void ArcSDE will fill, but need to make
> sure that this feature is/is not available now. If this is the case, any
> rough estimate on when the MapServer extension for ArcSDE will be
> available?

You can do some SDE-based mapping now. It's not yet possible to query SDE
data although that work is underway and will be included in the up comming
release. That release is 4-6 weeks out.

> Also, could someone confirm my suspicion that the 8-bit limitation on
> Raster maps means 8-bits red, 8-bits green and 8-bits blue, not a total
> of 8-bits split between RBG.  (Sorry, I'm somewhat lacking in my
> knowledge of graphics :-)

8-bits means there is only support for 256 color/greyscale images. The limitation
is there because the GD library can only output 256 color images.

> Thank you very much for any feedback.

> Thanks, Doug Bryant

Steve