[mapserver-users] Image Speed Questions---Generic

Sam Paske spaske at kapur-assoc.com
Thu Jul 26 17:03:30 EDT 2001

I tangled with this one when I was putting together a page just to get
familiar with mapserver
 http://www.kapurgis.com/agsmaps/t-cdrbrg/zoning_init.html ).

What you see on the page referred to above is a township in Wisconsin, USA.
There are nine orthorectified photos tiled to produce an aerial image of the
entire township. Each one is a 30 meg tif. I tried it the simple way first,
just to get it working. I just put each tif in the map file as a separate
layer. Seems to work well, but on my 450mhz mapserving machine (x86), it
slows down quite a bit as it processes 270 mb of image data. If the viewer
is on a slow modem the difference is not so noticable, but on a lan it is
significant. One thing I did notice is that as one zooms into the map, the
draw time will decrease as the server processes fewer of the images. At
least that is what appears to be happening.

The performance when zoomed way in is pretty good, so my next step was to
create a single, lower resolution image of the 9. My plan was to use this
image at greater viewing extents, and switch to the 9 greater detail images
as the user zooms in. After a bit of experimenting, I ended up with a 60mb
image (a composite of the nine) for zoomed out viewing and the nine
origionals for zoomed in viewing, making a total of ten layers in my map
file necesary.

I was pretty happy with the result, so I didn't go on to try any other
methods. However, my example only references a single township. If I were
working with an entire county (or a state) of 30mb images, I might vary my
approach.

Hope this helps,
Sam Paske
Kapur AGS