[mapserver-users] OGC specs

Walt joemayfair at usa.net
Sat Jun 2 16:52:27 EDT 2001

Has anybody looked at the OGC specs for "Web Map Server Interfaces Implementation"? <http://www.opengis.org/techno/specs/00-028.pdf>.  I'm trying to build an OGC compliant web map server and I'm running into this problem.  On pages 22-23 they specify CGI parameters one can pass to the map server to request a map.  One of these is the layers keyword, whose value is a list of layers that should be turned on.  So here's the problem: mapserver decides at which scale to turn a layer on (ie you don't want streets turned on when viewing a map of the whole US).  How can one achieve the functionality of letting a user override these scale defaults?  For example, what if a user wants to see the streets layer for the whole US?  THe streets layer gets passed as part of the layer CGI parameter, but then mapserver decides not to turn it on.  Has anyone dealt with this problem and if not, are there suggestions?  Perhaps another CGI paramter for "demanded layers"?

Thanks,
Walt