[mapserver-users] enterprise gis

Brent Fraser bfraser at geoanalytic.com
Wed Jun 6 10:06:50 EDT 2001

Eric (and other MapServer / MapPoint users),

  I'm not sure what functionality of MapServer would be of use to MapPoint.

MapServer renders a GIF/TIF/PNG raster map.  MapPoint cannot (as far as I
know) import a raster map.  With MapPoint 2002, it is possible to import
vector map data (points, lines, polygons) with some programming of
MapPoint's exposed ActiveX interface.  If you want to do a spatial select of
store locations, it might be better to store the data in a database as you
suggested and do a little programming to do the extract and post onto
MapPoint.

  On the other hand, the automatic route calculation of MapPoint is
interesting (along with the street-level data for Canada).  Hmmm, I wonder
if there is a way to get lat/lon route points and driving directions from
MapPoint and pass them to MapServer for display on the web...

Brent Fraser
bfraser at geoanalytic.com
GeoAnalytic Inc.
#300 , 700 - 4th Avenue SW Calgary, AB