[mapserver-users] [Q] Relation of .shp, .dbf, and .gif | .tif files

Roderick A. Anderson raanders at tincan.org
Fri Jun 15 12:59:06 EDT 2001

This is probably way below the level of support people on this list are
providing but I got to ask.

First what I'm trying to do, then what I think I need, and last
questions.

The Inland Northwest Community Access Network (TINCAN.ORG) wants to
place a locator map of internet public access sites for the area.  This
is a rather large area, urban and rural.  Without a map in front of me
I'm guessing 10 miles by 5 miles but there are very few sites we're
trying to locate so it could be called sparse.

   My take is we need to place a map up that shows the whole area with
markers for the public access sites.  The user could then pick a
location on the map and get zoomed into the street level detail.  (Off
to the side would be public access site specific information, address,
times, restrictions, etc. - for which I can handle the html and CGI
stuff.)

Here is what I see is needed but I'm not sure how it all ties together
or if I'm missing parts.

1) A .shp file of the greater Spokane Washington area including points
   for the sites, lines for the major roads, points for known 'things'
   in the area, and possibly polygons for boundries or area
   features.

2) A .dbf file with the information on the sites (I'd prefer using
   PostgreSQL if possible).

3) Several smaller scale .shp files with more road and street
   information centered around the public access sites or the center of
   several sites.

Am I close?  The questions I have are:

	Does Mapserver create a graphic based on the .shp file and
        friends?

	What file holds the text for features for the map?

	What file holds the feature display attributes, color, line
	type, line thickness(?), font, etc.  (I think the .map file.)

	Can all my data fit in one .shp file (instead of several) and I
	select the layers to be displayed and a portion of the whole
	area in the .shp file?

Thanks for any answers or pointers to answers,
Rod
--
                 Remove the word 'try' from your vocabulary ...
                     Don't try.  Do it or don't do it ...

                                                            Don Aslett