[mapserver-users] Question about Symbol Creation

Christian Fuerpass fuerp at atlas.gis.univie.ac.at
Mon Jun 18 06:26:52 EDT 2001

Hi!

We would like to create some symbols for our application. We need more
complex shapes (e.g. triangle, pentagon, etc.) and a different shape for
the not so beautiful predefined circles (in this case we use a polygon
with 16 corners). We tried to construct those shapes in the symbol file:

Symbol #22 16 Eck
  Name 'eck16'
  Type VECTOR
  Filled
  Points
   0.00 2.01
   0.38 1.09
   1.09 0.38
   2.01 0.00
   3.01 0.00
   3.93 0.38
   4.64 1.09
   5.02 2.01
   5.02 3.01
   4.64 3.93
   3.93 4.64
   3.01 5.02
   2.01 5.02
   1.09 4.64
   0.38 3.93
   0.00 3.01
   0.00 2.01
  END
END

Symbol #22 5 Eck
  Name 'eck5'
  Type VECTOR
  Filled
  Points
   0 1.9
   2.5 0
   5 1.9
   4 5
   1 5
   0 1.9
  END
END

The result can be seen at a screenshot of two examples:

http://apollo.gis.univie.ac.at/images/symbol.jpg

The problem is that the filling is not correct (sometimes a row of
pixles is missing)... Is it not possible to use real values for the
symbol definition? Or does anybody have any idea what the reason for
this errors might be? Any solutions?

Thanks in advance!
Yours Christian

Institut fuer Geographie der Universitaet Wien
   Kartographie und Geoinformation

Deptartment of Geography and Regional Science
   University of Vienna
   Cartography and GIS

  Tel:            (+43 1) 4277 48658
  Fax:            (+43 1) 4277 48649
  E-Mail:       mailto:fuerp at atlas.gis.univie.ac.at
  Snail-Mail: Universitaetstr. 7, A-1010 Wien, AUSTRIA

  WWW:        http://www.gis.univie.ac.at/karto/