[mapserver-users] coloring map

Ed McNierney ed at topozone.com
Wed Jun 20 16:37:29 EDT 2001

Ludovic -

Yes, four colors is enough, but figuring how which color to use for each
state is tricky.  Are you sure you need to do this dynamically?  If you
only need to do it for the United States, I would just code some static
colors (find your favorite poster map of the US and copy their colors).
I would only consider a dynamic color-selection algorithm if you needed
to display many different polygon layers and color each one with no
touching edges.

The dynamic version is quite a bit more work, and we're not planning on
adding any new states any time soon....

    - Ed

Ed McNierney
Chief Mapmaker