[mapserver-users] PHP/Mapscript dynamic lbrary error (fwd)

Daniel Morissette morissette at dmsolutions.ca
Tue Jun 26 14:50:04 EDT 2001

> From: "Rupert, James" <rupert at NRCan.gc.ca>
>
>  While running the PHP mapscript test map I get the following error:
>
> Unable to load dynamic library '/usr/local/lib/php/php_mapscript.so' -
> ld.so.1: /usr/local/apache/bin/httpd: fatal: relocation error: file
> /usr/local/lib/php/php_mapscript.so: symbol jpeg_set_defaults:
>
> The php_mapscript.so library was created specifying the location of the jpeg
> library yet it still cannot find it. Does anyone have and ideas on how to
> correct this problem?
>
> Environment, Apache 1.3.12, PHP 4.0.3.pl1, jpeg-6b, gd-1.8.4, mapserver 3.4

I've never seen that error specifically, but here are a few things to
try:

1- Do you have PHP statically linked into your httpd executable?  If
yes, then you need to add a switch on the link line to enable loading
dynamic libraries.  I'm not sure what it should be exactly for Solaris.
See FAQ#4.3 at
http://www2.dmsolutions.ca/mapserver/php_mapscript/php_mapscript_faq.html#4.3

2- It may simply be that libjpeg.so is not in your web server's runtime
library path.  If that's the problem then try using the --enable-runpath
configure option and rebuild your php_mapscript.so.

3- If #2 above doesn't fix the problem, then I would suggest checking to
make sure that there wouldn't be 2 verisons of libjpeg on your system,
in which case the error may happen because the wrong copy is being
picked at runtime.

I hope that helps,
 Daniel Morissette               morissette at dmsolutions.ca