[mapserver-users] PROJ support for Lambert Azimuthal Equal-Area

Ed McNierney ed at topozone.com
Wed Jun 27 15:30:25 EDT 2001

Folks -

I'm trying to work with the USGS's shaded relief raster image of North
America, and I'm having some trouble with it.  The raster base map is
described (in its metadata) as a Lambert Azimuthal Equal-Area
projection, with a central meridian of 100W and a central latitude of
45N.  If I load this into ArcView 3.2a (after creating a custom
projection to meet these specs) I can load the raster image and a simple
US state outline (lat/lon) on top of it and they register correctly.

If I try to do the same thing in MapServer 3.4, the state outlines
appear generally to be projected correctly, but the entire layer is
translated just about due north by some distance, so the states lie up
in the Canadian Arctic.

Has anyone used PROJ.4 for LAEA projection?  Any ideas or thoughts would
be very much appreciated.  The map file is below, and you can see the
application (just a quick-and-dirty hack to show the problem) at
http://140.239.90.197/NationalAtlas

	- Ed

Ed McNierney
Chief Mapmaker
TopoZone.com
(978) 251-4242

NAME NationalAtlas.map
SIZE 600 600
EXTENT -6003377.0 -3271289.0 5239501.0 2011590.0
UNITS meters
SYMBOLSET symbols/symbols.sym
IMAGECOLOR 255 255 255

WEB
  TEMPLATE 'NationalAtlas.html'
  IMAGEPATH 'S:\MapServer\NationalAtlas\tmp\'
  IMAGEURL '/NationalAtlas/tmp/'
END  #WEB

PROJECTION
  "proj=laea"
  "lon_0=100w"
  "lat_1=45n"
  "datum=NAD83"
END

SCALEBAR
  IMAGECOLOR 0 0 0
  LABEL
    COLOR 255 255 255
    SIZE SMALL
  END  #LABEL
  SIZE 350 5
  COLOR 0 0 0
  BACKGROUNDCOLOR 255 255 255
  OUTLINECOLOR 255 255 255
  UNITS kilometers
  INTERVALS 10
  STATUS ON
END   #SCALEBAR

#
# Start of layer definitions
#

LAYER
  NAME 'ShadedRelief'
  TYPE Raster
  STATUS On
  DATA 'D:\NationalAtlas\ShdRlfI020L8-1.TIF'
END

LAYER
  NAME 'Counties'
  TYPE Polygon