large scale image tiling

Tom Kralidis tomkralidis at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 7 09:21:07 EST 2001

Hi,

I have some ~40000 images, with corresponding world files.   The data totals
~150MB.

I would like to make all images served online as a single layer.

I have checked ArcView's helpfiles on creating an image catalog, and found
their imgcat.ave script.  However, this means loading each image into a
view, then running the script.

Is a data product of this size feasible to create a layer for use in
MapServer?

Can MapServer take the tile index as an ASCII text file, or only .dbf?  If
yes, a simple Perl script should do it.

Information or examples are appreciated.

..Tom