[mapserver-users] a question about tiffimages

Chris Stuber imap at chesapeake.net
Sat May 19 04:34:40 EDT 2001

Frank,

Are you saying... that GDAL 3.5 can project
and resample a TIFF raster?  VERY COOL if it does.
Is the tiff support replacement capable of dealing with
a 24-bit TIFF, cause I don't think that libtiff will.

Yep, the new versions of GD (2.0 and 2.01) support the TrueColor
alpha channel/transparent blending, CopyResampled (copy
with resampling), and TrueColorToPalette functions.  Supports
only JPG, PNG and WBMP formats...  It would be nice if mapserver
were capable of producing 24-bit images... alot more could be
done with anti-aliasing with Truecolor.

I preprocess my rasters with Adobe Illustrator or PaintShop Pro...
Typically, I have to convert my 24-bit images to 8-bit (if they are
not 8-bit already) and 2) decrease the image colors to around 150
to 200 colors.  Sometime I still have trouble with filling up
the color table with colors defined in my mapfile and or symbols
which are pixmaps (gifs) that may contain a handful of colors.
It would be great to have a tools capable preprocessing these
rasters... using a GUI to do it, isnt much fun.

Regards,

Chris Stuber (mapsurfer)