[mapserver-users] server error

Müller Ulrich Ulrich.Mueller at bd.so.ch
Tue Nov 6 08:41:26 EST 2001

I am facing three situations when I get an INTERNAL SERVER ERROR message. In
two cases I have no idea what's the reason. In the third case I found a
solution, but it is probably still worth mentioning.
My detailed description follows below. Thanks for your advices!

Uli Müller

Kanton Solothurn
GIS Koordinationsstelle
Rötihof
CH-4509 Solothurn
T: +41 (032) 627 2475

1) I try to load a dgn file with the following Mapfile entries:
	LAYER
		NAME samp15
		STATUS ON
		TYPE LINE
		CONNECTIONTYPE OGR
		CONNECTION
"/opt/wwwroot/sogis/develop/umue/MapServer/daten/cad/samp15.dgn, 0"
	END
The file is a sample from the DGNLib website, so it should be ok. I can also
view it in our Desktop GIS ArcView without any problems.

MapServer version:
	3.4 and 3.5

apache error log entries:
	*
msOGRLayerOpen(/opt/wwwroot/sogis/develop/umue/MapServer/daten/cad/samp15.dg
n, 0)...
	*
msOGRLayerClose(/opt/wwwroot/sogis/develop/umue/MapServer/daten/cad/samp15.d
gn, 0).
	* malformed header from script. Bad header=Found deleted, skipping.:
/opt/wwwroot/cgi-bin/sogis/ms_ogr

2) I want to query a numeric field of a polyline-shape. The query normally
works fine. However I get the server error, when
- I zoom in to a scale larger 1:1000, and when
- I change the tolerance to a value different from 0

The mapfile looks like this:
	LAYER
	  NAME gshiso
	  MAXSCALE 600000
	  STATUS ON
		TOLERANCE 5
	  DATA aww/gewaesserschutzkarte/gshiso
	  TYPE LINE
	  LABELITEM "Kote"
	  QUERYITEM "KOTE"
	  SYMBOLSCALE 10000
	  LABELMAXSCALE 25000
	  CLASS
	    COLOR 0 62 210
	    SYMBOL 2
	    SIZE 2
	    LABEL
	      TYPE TRUETYPE
	      ANTIALIAS
	      FONT arial
	      COLOR 0 0 0
	      OUTLINECOLOR 255 255 230
	      SIZE 8
	      MINSIZE 4
	      MAXSIZE 11
	      ANGLE AUTO
	      POSITION CC
	      MINFEATURESIZE AUTO
	    END
	  END
	  QUERY
	    TEMPLATE
"/opt/wwwroot/sogis/develop/umue/MapServer/projekte/aww/gws_karte/qry_tpl.ht
ml"
	  END
	END

MapServer version:
	3.3

apache error log entries:
	* Premature end of script headers:
/opt/wwwroot/cgi-bin/sogis/mapserv
3) I want to display a polygon shapefile. It works fine at large scales. I
get the server error message, when I zoom out below 1:300000. However the
error disappears completely, when I move this layer at the bottom of the
mapfile. As soon as another polygon layer is drawn below the problem layer,
MapServer crahses.
For this problem I found a possible reason. My shapefile had some very small
polygons (digitizing errors). After deleting the corresponding records,
everything worked at every scale and for every layer combination. Still,
MapServer should not crash with small polygons?

The mapfile:
	LAYER
	    NAME holoz
	    TYPE polygon