[mapserver-users] Re: Problem with apache+php as one binary

Andries J. Algera aalgera at ibama.gov.br
Sat Nov 24 13:56:34 EST 2001

Daniel,

Thanks for the help. Over the last couple of days I've been reading
through the apache-docs and found out that under Solaris you need to
configure apache with --enable-rule=SHARED_CORE in order to be able to
load any shared object (see dso.html in the apache docs). After doing
this, I was able to load the mapserver module without any problem. I
shouldn't forget that I still need the add the -shared option the
mapscript LDFLAGS. Do you think it is possible for the configure script to
detect this automatically.

I noted that the apache+php+mapserver response has become much better
after compiling an almost all-in-one web server. The only module I still
have is the php/mapscript module. Do you think that in the future it might
be possible to compile this module into php?

Andries

On Sat, 24 Nov 2001, Daniel Morissette wrote:

> Andries Jan Algera wrote:
> >
> > I compiled apache and php as one binary. It's looks like that this reduces
> > significantly the memory usage of the web server.  However, after reconfiguring
> > and recompiling mapserver/php-mapscript with the following configure options --
> > with-apache=../apache_1.3.22 --with-php=../php-4.0.6 --with-proj --with-
> > oraclespatial=$ORACLE_HOME and installing the php_mapscript.so in the
> > extensions directory, I get the following error when I am trying to load a page:
> >
> > Unable to load dynamic
> > library '/opt/local/lib/php/extensions/php_mapscript.so' -
> > ld.so.1: /usr/local/apache/bin/httpd: fatal: relocation error:
> > file /opt/local/lib/php/extensions/php_mapscript.so: symbol alloc_globals:
> > referenced symbol not found
> >
> > Can anyone explain what may be happening here, and, perhaps, indicate what I
> > might try to resolve this. OS=Solaris2.6 and gcc=2.95.3
> >

> You may have to add a switch to the link (ld) line of your 'httpd'
> executable to enable loading of shared objects.  On Linux it's
> '-rdynamic', on *BSD it is '-export-dynamic', I don't know what it would
> be on Solaris. There may even be an Apache configure option to do this
> for you.  If you had configured your Apache to support modules as shared
> objects (instead of statically linked) then this link option would have
> been automatically included for you.
>
> --
>  Daniel Morissette               morissette at dmsolutions.ca
>  DM Solutions Group              http://www.dmsolutions.ca/
>   Don't put for tomorrow what you can do today, because if
>       you enjoy it today you can do it again tomorrow.

Andries Algera
CSR - IBAMA
SAIN L4, Lote 4, Ed. IBAMA Sede
70800.200  Brasilia / DF