[mapserver-users] generated dynamic .map files

Didier Georgieff Didier.GEORGIEFF at agriculture.gouv.fr
Mon Oct 1 11:43:03 EDT 2001

Hello,

I'm in the process of using mapserver as maping tool with Zope as
application server (we used to use ArcviewIMS).

I tested around mapserver+apache (thanks to michael anderson for
the help) and it's really a great(tm) product !

Here is the question :

Zope is a killer for all dynamic features, and i can see a lot done on
the Zope side (again thanks to michael anderson for all the
informations and help).

But i have a problem understanding what can be done to generate
"on the fly" map files when Zope server is on a different machine
than mapserver (if it's on the same machine thay can share the
...map filesystem). Because in this case Zope can't write filesystem
on the mapserver machine (and i don't want to allow ftp on the
mapserver machine filesystem for security reasons)

Reading thru the documentation i didn't understood for sure what
can be done without a map file (all parameter in the request http
thru get or put), or if it's possible to have a map file on a different
machine than mapserver.

If this can't be workaround, so my solution will need to have
mapserver and Zope on the same machine so they can share the
same .map file dynamically. But this will reduce the abilty to adapt
to different architectures.

Any help, tip, pointer, experience will be welcome.

Thanks in advance.

PS : Naturally all our developments will be open source.

--
Didier Georgieff
Chef de projet technique SIT du Bas-Rhin
email : didier.georgieff at agriculture.gouv.fr
SIT du Bas-Rhin : http://www.bas-rhin.sit.gouv.fr

Direction Régionale et Départementale
de l'Agriculture et de la Forêt
Cité Administrative - Entrée 24 - 14, rue du Maréchal Juin
67084 Strasbourg Cedex