[mapserver-users] ArcIMS Gateway

Bruno Gendron bruno_gendron at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 1 15:00:04 EDT 2001

Hi to everyone,

I have been working a lot lately in creating a
PHP-Mapscript-based ArcXML-parser for Mapserver, which
handles basically 2/3 of the ArcXML 1.1 <REQUEST> spec
and returns an ArcXML <RESPONSE> to any ArcXML-enabled
client. Actually, the parser talks directly to
Mapserver, but it could be modified to forward its
request an WMS format to any WMS-compliant server and
back.

However, my work is part of a larger project, which
include a Flash-DHTML Mapserver client, and I don't
know at this point in time if this ArcXML-parser will
be in the public domain (a public demo will go on-line
soon, so stay tuned).

So, basically, yes, something closely related has been
done, and, no, I haven't seen any pitfall in doing
this. In respect to Mapserver, the mapfile structure
can easily (hum!) related to ArcXML tags. The nice
thing with ArcXML is that it could be easily extended
to include special geo-processing tags (I am in the
process of creating such tags to handle complex
queries).

Bruno Gendron
GIS consultant
Lachine, Canada