[mapserver-users] state label placement

Stephen Lime sdlime at mninter.net
Wed Oct 3 09:29:44 EDT 2001

I downloaded the layer myself and will take a look. A couple of things
off the top of my head. MINDISTANCE is given in pixels and only deals
with duplicates. POSITION AUTO uses 8 label points that revolve around
the label point. If you want to center directly upon the label point choose
CC explictly. I think there may be enough info in the label cache to add
CC back into the AUTO placement if no marker is being used, I'll file that
as a bug in bugzilla. Finally, polygon label points are generated as follows:

  - use midpoint of bbox if that point falls in the polygon
  - compute a centroid based on sampling the feature

For odd shaped states (like Mass. or Fla.) the position may not be optimal.

Steve