[mapserver-users] perl mapscript documentation

Greg Fausak lgfausak at august.net
Wed Oct 10 11:14:12 EDT 2001

>Hello all,
>I'm totally new to the list and mapserver using.
>I'm trying to use the mapserver library through mapscript from perl.
>My problem is that, until now, I have found quite poor documentation about that.
>Can someone tell me if it's possibile to found more documentation and/or some little programming examples?
>
>Many thanks in advance
>Enrico

I am also new, I've been using mapserv for a couple of weeks now.
I know where you are coming from, but if you stick with it you will see
the light :-)

I spent about 3 to 4 days coming up to speed with the mapserv stuff.
Much of the documentation is just slightly off, probably due to version
differences.  I ended up searching the mail serve archive for hours to get
specific questions answered.  Also, the demo map files are invaluable.

I started by using the cgi mapserv executable under unix.  I thought at
the time this would be the quickest start.  I would have saved at least
a day (maybe 2) if I would have started with the perl or php wrappers.
I'm now using the php wrappers...I found the PHP/MapScript README file
to be the most valuable documentation for me.  Also, the simple examples
under the mapscript/php3/examples directory were invaluable.

In the end (2 weeks later) I feel that I can get a dataset mapped using
the mapserver software and interfaces.  This truly is a fantastic
piece of work!  Several years ago I wrote mapping and projection software
for Mobil Oil, I wish this was around then!

---greg
Greg Fausak
August.Net Services, LLC
greg at august.net