[mapserver-users] Re: mapserver and coldfusion (cfx)

Paul Hastings paul at tei.or.th
Tue Oct 16 15:49:48 EDT 2001

> I'm afraid I'm really not qualified in helping with the coding, but I'll
> gladly beta-test it, and possibly help with documentation, as well as
> provide comments and ideas whenever I can.

excellent. i want to make sure we start on the right foot. especially
need some kind of cheer leading to help my staff stay the course
on this.  the girl working on this is pretty good & seems tough enough
but some outside encouragement would be nice ;-)

> My first thoughts would be to write a MapScript like module for CF that
> would provide a very similar set of functions to CF in the same way
> MapScript does to  Perl or Python ... I don't even know if that's doable
> with CF, but that would be it seems to be, the best, most consistent
> approach.

yes thats what we're looking into now. though i'm a bit concerned that
php mapscript is a CGI rather than a module. any ideas on that?

> I was also wondering about SWIG, Java and the Java Support built into CF
> (Especially 5). Might that be a path to follow? You'd hit 2 birds with one
> stone: A CF usable MapServer interface, AND a Java one!

well java cfx tags are definitely a good cross-platform idea but i
think i'd have trouble finding a java coder. i assume porting the
cfx tags to lunix/solaris wouldn't be that hard (though there doesn't
seem to be many now). also neo (cf6) would probably be a better
platform for that kind of java integration (it'll be java, jrun, based &
is just too cool).