[mapserver-users] Mr.SID

kenboss kenboss at dilbert.dnr.state.mn.us
Tue Oct 16 16:27:26 EDT 2001

Obviously, the C SDK would be the way to go for true integration with mapserver,
but, as noted, support for anything other than Windows is lacking.  Lizardtech
has been saying for years (literally) that they're working on support for the
SDK on other platforms, but it never happens.

In the meantime, you might find what you're looking for in the MrSID Image
Server, which is available for download at:

http://www.lizardtech.com/cgi-bin/products/desc.pl?tsb=25718

(see https://www.lizardtech.com/cgi-bin/products/products.pl for a full listing
of downloadable products)

The Image Server is a just set of perl scripts with a couple of accompanying
binaries to do the image decompression/extraction work.  It is supported under
Linux, Solaris, and Windows NT web environments.  You could play around with
hacking the perl scripts, or you can just drop the binaries into your cgi
directory and call them directly from your pages.  Unfortunately, although MrSID
is geospatially aware, the binary programs expect arguments in terms of pixels,
so you'd have query your MrSID image for a bit of metadata and then do some math
before you could submit the request for a portion of an image.  Inelegant, but
doable.

We run an applet on some of our pages to overlay mapserver-generated transparent
gifs on top of jpegs coming out of another package.  The same approach could be
taken with MrSID images served from the Image Server.

(Steve, I don't see the overlay applet anywhere on the mapserver site.  If you
think it'd be worthwhile putting it up there, I could whip up some documentation
for it.)

--Ken