[mapserver-users] Cannot find -lzlib during build with ogr support

Tyler Mitchell TMitchell at lignum.com
Wed Oct 17 14:55:48 EDT 2001

So close and yet so far.
Well, I got basic functionality working with mapserver, thanks for the
excellent product.
I'm still cutting my teeth on building applications, so can you help me
with the error I'm getting?
I've installed gdal and ogr and ran when I build mapserver using:
>./configure --with-ogr
>make
The output tells me the following, then bails, without creating the
executable:
-----
gcc -O2  -Wall -DIGNORE_MISSING_DATA   -DUSE_PROJ -DUSE_TTF -DUSE_TIFF
-DUSE_JPEG -DUSE_GD_1_2  -DUSE_OGR  -I/home/download/gis/mapserver/gd-1.2
-I/home/download/gis/mapserver/gdft -I/usr/local/include/freetype
shp2img.o  -L. -lmap -L/home/download/gis/mapserver/gd-1.2 -lgd
-L/home/download/gis/mapserver/gdft -lgdft -lttf -ltiff -lproj -ljpeg
-lgdal.1.1 -ljpeg -lpng -ldl -logdi -lzlib  -lm -o shp2img
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lzlib
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [shp2img] Error 1
-----
Tyler J. Mitchell
Coordinator - Geographic Information Systems
Lignum Ltd - 180 Hodgson Road
Williams Lake, B.C. Canada
V2G 3P6
Phone: 250-392-3371